There is a severe shortage of graduates to replace retiring engineers in the nuclear field. This program prepares graduates who are technically skilled engineers who can undertake research, development, design, maintenance, operation and decommissioning of nuclear power plants and related facilities. Potential employers both in Canada and abroad include:
- Government agencies;
- Research and design institutions;
- Service companies; and
Major Canadian utilities and engineering companies that design, operate and service nuclear power plants are looking for a reliable supply of nuclear engineers.
Careers in nuclear engineering include:
- Designing, building and commissioning world-class nuclear reactors;
- Environmental assessment;
- Operating, maintaining and refurbishing existing nuclear facilities;
- Safety analysis, regulatory monitoring; and
- Uranium mining, nuclear fuel design manufacturing.