Associate Professor and Jeffrey S. Boyce Research Chair in Natural Gas (NG) as a Transportation Fuel
Office: ERC, Room 4023
T: 905.721.8668 ext.5560
- Emerging Energy Systems
- Fossil Fuel Energy Conversion
- B. Sc., Geotechnical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- M. Sc., Environmental Engineering, University of Guelph
- Executive management courses on sustainable development: Duke (Fuqua) School of Business; Cambridge University; Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Most Significant Career Research Contributions
- Hoornweg, D., M. Freire, M. Lee and P. Bhada-Tata, B. Yuen, Editors. 2011. Cities and Climate Change: Responding to an Urgent Agenda. 306 p. Urban Development Series. World Bank.
This report and its companion Volume 2 (e-publication) summarize the 2010 Marseille Research Symposium (managed by the main author) that brought together more than 700 researchers, 300 research papers, and more than 50 private sector participants. This conference and the follow on publications and meetings had a significant influence in moving the World Bank and its member countries into a more aggressive response to climate change, mitigation and adaptation.
- Jumbo Shrimp: The Rise and Fall of Large American Cities, Corporate Knights Magazine,http://www.corporateknights.com/article/jumbo-shrimp
- Cities and greenhouse gas emissions: moving forward, Environment and Urbanization April 2011 vol. 23 no. 1 207-227, http://eau.sagepub.com/content/23/1/207
- Greenhouse gas emissions from cities: comparison of international inventory frameworks Local Environment: The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability, Volume 17, Issue 2, 2012
- Mainstreaming Urban Metabolism, Journal of Industrial Ecology, Volume 16, Issue 6, December 2012http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1530-9290.2012.00548.x/abstract
- Hoornweg, D. and P. Bhada-Tata. 2012. What a Waste: A Global Review of Solid Waste Management. Urban Development Series Knowledge Paper. World Bank.
- Hoornweg, D., F. Ruiz Nunez, M. Freire, N. Palugyai and M. Villaveces, E. Wills Herrera. 2007. 71 p. City Indicators: Now to Nanjing. World Bank.
- Hoornweg, D. with P. Bhada-Tata in 2012 and L Thomas in 1999. What a Waste: A Global Review of Solid Waste Management (limited to Asia in 1999). World Bank.
- Hoornweg, D., P. Lam and M. Chaudhry. 2005. 146 p. Waste Management in China: Issues and Recommendations. Urban Development Working Papers No. 9. East Asia Infrastructure Department. World Bank. Updated 2011.
- Hoornweg, D., F. Ruiz Nunez, M. Freire, N. Palugyai and M. Villaveces, E. Wills Herrera. 2007. City Indicators: Now to Nanjing. Working Paper Series. World Bank.
- Hoornweg, D. 2011. Cities and Climate Change: An Urgent Agenda. Urban Development Series Knowledge Paper. World Bank.
- Hoornweg, D., M. Freire, M. Lee and P. Bhada-Tata, B. Yuen, Editors. 2011. Cities and Climate Change: Responding to an Urgent Agenda. Urban Development Series. World Bank.
- E. Dickson, J. Baker, D. Hoornweg, and A. Tiwari. 2012. 340 p. Urban Risk Assessment: Toward a Common Approach. Urban Development Series. World Bank.
- Hoornweg, D. – contributing author (Chapters 1 and 4). 2011. Sustainable Low-Carbon City Development in China. World Bank.
- Amen, M., J. N. Toly, P. McCarney and K. Segbers, Editors. 2011. Cities and Global Governance, Chapter 5. pp 91-110. D. Hoornweg. The Evolution of City Indicators: Challenges and Progress.
Select Advisory Positions
- Chief Safety and Risk Officer, Province of Ontario
- GDF Suez, Urban Strategic Council
- Philips Liveable Cities Think-tank; Board Member – Waste Diversion Ontario
- Jurist – World Wildlife Fund, Sustainable City Award
- Advisor – The Children’s Investment Fund Foundation
- Assistant – UNEP Resource Efficient Cities
- Fellow, World Bank, Sustainable Development Network
- Region of Durham Sustainability Council
- Clarington Green Infrastructure Review Committee